Consumer Goods and Retail BSCI Program
As an accredited audit company for the Business Social Compliance Initiative (BSCI) program, SGS can help you monitor the compliance and performance of your supplier network against the requirements of the BSCI code of conduct.
- +358 9 6963 701
The BSCI is the European social monitoring system for ethical sourcing initiated by the Brussels-based Foreign Trade Association (FTA). The BSCI is based on ILO (International Labor Organization) labor standards and supports the continuous improvement of the social performance of suppliers. Its ultimate objective is to become certificated to standards such as SA 8000 or equivalent, thereby promoting sustainable working conditions in factories worldwide.
The BSCI code of conduct covers the following areas:
- Legal compliance
- Working hours
- Prohibition of child labor
- Prohibition of forced labor and disciplinary measures
- Freedom of association and the right to collective bargaining
- Prohibition of all forms of discrimination
- Workplace health and safety
- Management systems
- Environment and safety issues
BSCI evaluation scheme structure
The BSCI evaluation that SGS conducts consists of three separate elements:
- Part A - Recording master data: Recording business and master data of your supplier(s)
- Part B - BSCI audit: Recording and evaluation of compliance with minimum social and environmental requirements. The implementation of corrective actions arising from Part B is compulsory
- Part C - Recording and assessment of best practice for industry: Part C of the audit is compulsory, however the implementation of corrective actions arising from Part C is voluntary
In cases where an initial audit identifies serious issues, corrective action may be required to address and resolve these issues before we can arrange for a re-audit.
SGS has experience of conducting thousands of audits against the BSCI and employs a dedicated product manager to ensure consistency of auditing across all countries. Our global network of auditors enables a quick and cost-effective response in most major manufacturing areas. In addition, we can supply dedicated key account managers to support large programs where BSCI members are seeking to monitor supply chains against BSCI requirements.
Find out how SGS can help you and your suppliers maintain compliance with the BSCI code of conduct.